Sunday, January 4, 2009

The Drama of the Appointed Savior

There is an unsettling phenomena happening.

Walking in the mall, I see in the window of a Spencer's Gifts a display of Barak Obama merchandise with the prominently featured message "CHANGE HAS COME. 1/20/09"

Watching TV, a commericial for a Barak Obama commemorative coin urgently notes the "glorious" depiction of this American "icon" to memorialize this most historic of moments.

Strolling along the street of my sleepy hometown, a fashion boutique more known for its eclectic apparel targeting wealthy middle-aged women has a collection of Barack Obama commemorative plates for sale in the window.

All I can think is: Wow. This poor man.

I was moved on Election Night just as millions of others were, but think about it for a minute - how incredibly pressured would any of us feel to all of a sudden have the hopes and expectations of millions of people thrust upon you with the open admission that it was up to YOU to make everything right?

I'm not suggesting that our President-Elect is not up to the job. Even though I did not vote for Obama, I watched the returns that Tuesday night and felt perfectly peaceful with the outcome. He will soon be my President, and I will do my humble part to support him as any patriot - i.e., one with a passion for their country - would.

I do feel bad for him. I believe his intentions are absolutely pure and good, but he is merely human. It concerns me that so much of the American public has all but anointed this man, when it is only a matter of time before those same people will tear him down off the very altar they built in his praise. That's not cynicism - that's just the way we roll here in the USA. We love to send our idols soaring on wings of wax, then watch as the mighty fall to earth, wings melted and scorched by the brilliant sun.

It's strange to feel like I'm pulling for the underdog when he couldn't be in more of a honeymoon period with this country. But I can't help but anticipate the time when he falters - as all humans will, and do - and the shine starts coming off the apple. There are people who fully believe that he will buy their home back for them. There are those who are holding him responsible for getting them a job - not just A job, but a job that they won't have to interview for and with better pay and benefits then they've ever had before. And still others think he can bring the price of gas down to $1 a gallon indefinitely. It will be all candy houses with licorice fences! It's scary how much more entitled this society has become.

I'm not saying things shouldn't get better. We are all vulnerable, and things must change. I have faith in President Obama that he will help us get there. I believe he can help us help ourselves - by clearing the path for us to see the way clearly, not by holding our hand. This in itself would be doing our society a great service.

I just hope our country can muster the maturity to resist the voyeristic thrill of witnissing the meteoric rise followed by the tragic decline. If history is any indicator, the odds are not favorable.

And as it has been throughout civilizations, for the poweful and adored, Damacles' sword is held by but a hair.

4 comments:

  1. Hope is a good thing, but building someone up just to rip them to shreds is saddly an American pastime. It's like this sick thing that the collective American public does. We create icons and heros and God help them if they live long enough to fall of that pedestal they were placed on because the masses will be there to pass harsh judgement.

    I too have hope that real change is comming. However, in the last week or so the choices that the President Elect has made seem more like re-instatements of the usual suspects (e.g. former Clinton administration insiders)than fresh new faces to help usher in a new era of American government.

    The one thing that I think he has going for him no matter what is that things are so bad now he can't help but to make them better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I almost want to rewrite my "Heroes" essay on my myspace {plug off}. I am hoping somehow, someone will break the cycle. Mind you, he will have to get all the breaks. And, people have to be willing to do the work. But I just gotta (here is that word again) HOPE that it will work. The cynic in me (the one in control, obviously) thinks that failure is all but guaranteed. But like so many have said before, but my grandfather was the one to tell me, "Thats why they play the game..."

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, you're saying that I shouldn't use the Obama commemorative plates I saw on QVC to decorate my house?

    ReplyDelete
  4. HOLD THE PHONE.. hey babe check out this blogger's post.. It's sad that with 2 small daughters the first person I thought of when I read this was YOU!!!

    http://oohlalamamafashion.blogspot.com/2009/01/barbie-shanghai.html

    Hey I never got word back from you about my big plan for Miss KK's 10th Bday. I DID however get a tre cute pic of you and your man in the mail today. It's taken it's honored place on the fridge until I can get a frame for it. I love being able to look at your mug, but there is the added evil grin when I think how it will be recieved by "others" should they ever darken my doorstep again. Let's just say I hope that day never comes.. :-)

    ReplyDelete